Thursday, June 18, 2015

Finding Joy in the Journey


Well, a lot has happened since I last posted. I think that was in 2013. We've had a lot of big changes in our family. In 2012 Gary was diagnosed with cancer again. This time it was cancer caused by the radiation he had for the first round of cancer back in the late 90's. This time he went through surgeries, chemo and radiation but was not able to beat it. On February 5, 2014 Gary passed away. Even though it is hard for us we are happy that he is no longer in pain and suffering. He is in a much better place.  



 Now, we are moving on in our lives. In August of last year, I helped Kara move out to Columbus, Ohio, where she is attending The Ohio State School of Veterinary Medicine. This has been her dream for years. She didn't get in the first year she applied but God had a plan for her. She was home for Gary's last year with us, which was important for both her and Gary. She applied again in 2013 and got in with early admissions. It sometimes is hard to understand why things happen but God has a plan and every thing worked out in the end. Sometimes it is hard to be patient and accept what is happening.

Alex went to New Hampshire Technical Institute in Concord for 2 years. He didn't finish his degree in Business Administration. He isn't sure what he wants to do but the business route is not it. So for now he is home until he figures things out.

I am trying to figure out what is next for me. What God has planned for me. I am no longer a wife. I'm still a mom but the kids don't need me the way they used to.  This summer, I have a lot of stuff I need to get done around the house. Stuff that has been put on hold for the last 2-3 years. One of the first things on my list is to get the porch finished up. I need to paint the door and re-stain the steps and floor, and paint the post and railing. Not looking forward to the staining since it will mean going in and out through the bulkhead. There will be a lot of stuff I need to learn to to that  Gary used to do.

 I also have a lot of refinishing projects I need, no want to get done. This bench was one of the first. I've had it since we lived in Ohio 20?  years ago. It was given to me by a good friend and I didn't want to paint it or get rid of it. But the paint was flaking off so......






I painted it "Seaglass" by Krylon. It will really look nice on the porch when the porch is finished.


Here are some of the Iris I planted when we moved in.



We don't get the lawn mowed as often as we should but I'm learning to enjoy the beauty of the simple wild flowers.



I'm excited to see where life will take me. It's not always easy and I will have us and downs but I'm going to try and find the joy and see the beauty in my journey. As long as I have God, my family and my friends, I won't be in this alone.

No comments: